A short history
Herberton State School was established in December 1881 to serve the Herberton Tin Mining Fields. The town "boomed" in its early years and the school population grew accordingly.
In 1912, Secondary Education was officially established in Queensland. Herberton was one of five Secondary Departments established in the state at that time and is now the only remaining one operating as a Secondary Department.
In early times, Herberton was noted as the Educational centre of north Queensland having three Secondary schools catering for students from all over the north. In 1974, Senior Secondary was moved to Atherton and we now cater for Prep through to Year 10.
The Primary Campus
In 1994 the Primary Campus opened. This caters for children in Prep to Year Six. The Secondary Department remains at the original site. The entire Herberton community was very excited about the opening of the new Primary Campus as conditions at the old site had become rather cramped.
The Primary Campus has well equipped classrooms, two under-cover play areas, a library and computer room, and landscaped outdoor surroundings.